|SAS Companion for the OS/390 Environment
- BLKSIZE= is now available as a system option.
The following functions are new.
- returns specified information about a directory in a partitioned
data set (PDS), a partitioned data set extended (PDSE), or UNIX System Services.
- opens a directory and returns a directory identifier value.
- returns information about directory attributes.
- returns the number of information items available for a
- closes an external file that was opened with FOPEN.
- deletes data sets.
- verifies the existence of an external file associated with
a fileref and returns a value.
- assigns or deassigns a fileref for an external file.
- verifies that a fileref has been assigned and returns a
- verifies the existence of an external file based on its
physical filename and returns a value.
- returns the value of a file information item.
- opens an external file and returns a file identifier value.
- returns the name of an item of information for a file.
- returns the number of available file information items.
- assigns or deassigns a libref for a SAS data library and
returns a value.
- opens a file by directory ID and member name and returns
either the file identifier or 0.
- returns the physical name of a SAS data library or an external
file or returns a blank.
- returns the values of a specified host-environment variable.
For detailed information on the following changes, see
Procedures in the OS/390 Environment.
- The following procedures are new:
- PROC DBF
- is now supported in the OS/390 environment. With a license
for SAS/ACCESS for PC File Formats, you can use PROC DBF to convert dBASE
files to SAS data sets or SAS data sets to dBASE files.
- PROC ITEMS
- enables you to create, modify, and delete itemstores, which
are special file formats used to store information relating to the SAS session.
- The following procedures have
- PROC CIMPORT
- no longer supports background color options.
- In Version 8, supports the following parameters: DEFINE,
GROUP=, OPTION=, and VALUE.
- PROC TAPELABEL
- now produces its output through the Output Delivery System.
This procedure also has new DUMP=, BLOCKS, and RECORDS options for specifying
dumps to tape.
- The FILE statement now supports two new options:
- works with the LRECL= option to specify the maximum number
of columns in print files, non-print files, and the SAS log.
- PRINT | NOPRINT
- specifies whether carriage-control characters are placed
in all lines of output that are directed to print files or to the SAS log.
In SAS Version 8, the FILENAME statement supports the EMAIL device
type, which allows you to send electronic mail from within SAS.
- lists asynchronous tasks.
- suspends execution of the current SAS session until the
specified tasks finish executing.
- The following system options are
- suppresses synchronization of VTOC entry at library creation
- checks for SAS data library truncation.
- specifies the default file system access method that is
used when the filename is ambiguous.
- specifies the amount of memory reserved for use by the operating
- specifies the partitioned data set that contains SAS messages.
(This option replaces SASMSG=.)
- specifies uppercase or lowercase message display.
- enables message files to be closed and reloaded.
- specifies the size of the message storage cache.
- enables sorting with alternate message flags.
- enables block-mode sorting.
- enables modification of the sort utility output buffer.
- enables device type warnings.
- specifies whether the host sort utility supports passing
a user address constant to the E15/E35 exits.
- specifies whether to enable SVC 11 screening to obtain host
date and time information.
- enables the use of operating environment commands in a SAS
- The following system options are now
following system options are now documented in SAS Language Reference: Dictionary because
they no longer have host-specific
The SAS Explorer windowing environment contains the following host-specific
windows, all of which are new since SAS Version 6.09E:
- provides information about a cataloged physical file.
- displays assigned filerefs and their associated filenames.
- displays allocated DDnames, their associated data set names,
and data set information.
- lists all the libraries that are currently assigned in your
- displays a member list for a partitioned data set (PDS)
or for a series of partitioned data sets in a concatenation.
- New or updated windows of the FORM subsystem include:
- IBM 3800 Print-File Parameter Frame
- requests IBM 3800 print-file parameters.
- TSO Print-File Parameter Frame
- requests TSO print-file parameters.
New or updated commands
- simulates a mouse double-click.
- ends the SAS session.
- displays the full length of truncated text entry fields.
- copies the contents of an external file into the current
- issues a TSO command or invokes a CLIST or a REXX exec from
the command line.
- moves the keyboard focus from one widget to the next widget.
- moves the keyboard focus from one widget to the previous
See Windows and Commands in the OS/390 Environment
for information about new commands and the new implementation of the DSINFO,
FNAME, and MEMSIZE windows in the SAS Explorer windowing environment.
Copyright 1999 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA. All rights reserved.