- convert a SAS file
- changes the format of a SAS file from one
version to another, for example, from Version 6 to Version 8 format.
- is a part of the SAS System that reads from
or writes to a SAS file in a data library. Each engine allows SAS to access
files with a particular format. Having multiple engines enables SAS to access
different formats and versions of SAS files.
- is a shortcut name associated with a SAS
- mixed-mode directory
- is a directory that contains SAS files
from more than one release, for example, Version 6 and Version 8.
- SAS catalog
- is a SAS file that stores different kinds
of information in separate units called catalog entries, which are distinguished
by the entry type and name. A SAS catalog has the member type CATALOG. Various
SAS procedures and products create and manage entry types.
- SAS data file
- is a SAS data set that contains both the
data values and the descriptor information. A data file has the member type
- SAS data library
- is a collection of one or more SAS files
that are recognized by SAS. Each file is a member of the library.
- SAS data set
- is a SAS file that consists of descriptor
information and data values organized as a table of observations (rows) and
variables (columns) that can be processed by SAS. A SAS data set can be either
a SAS data file or a SAS view.
- SAS file
- is a specially structured file that is created,
organized, and maintained by SAS. SAS files reside in SAS data libraries
as members with specific types. Examples of SAS files are a SAS data set (which
can be a SAS data file or a SAS view), a SAS catalog, a stored compiled DATA
step program, an access descriptor file, and database files such as MDDB,
FDB, and DMDB files.
- SAS view
- is a SAS data set that contains only the
information required to retrieve values. The data is obtained from another
file. A SAS view has the member type VIEW. There are three types of SAS views:
- DATA step view
- PROC SQL view.
- stored compiled DATA step
- is a SAS file that contains a DATA step
program that has been compiled and stored in a SAS data library. A stored
compiled DATA step program has the member type PROGRAM.
Copyright 1999 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA. All rights reserved.