|SAS/AF Software Procedure Guide
LIST entries store lists of
values that are
used in conjunction with PROGRAM entries to validate field values and to provide
You can specify the following attributes for the list. You use the BUILD
procedure's LISTATTR window to set list attributes.
- specifies one of the following types for the values in the
The list type should match the type of the PROGRAM entry field
that the list is used to validate.
||indicates that the list contains character values.
(This is the default.)|
||indicates that the list contains numeric values.|
Note: You cannot change the list type
once the list is saved.
- specifies the length of items in the list. Valid values
are 1 to 80.
Note: You cannot change the item length once the list is
- specifies a fileref that is associated with a file that
is used to populate the list. The fileref must have previously been defined
in the SAS session. Each value that is read from the file is appended to the
list. The file can contain more than one value per record or line as long
as the values are separated by one or more spaces. Values that are longer
than the specified item length are truncated.
Note: The fileref is not
stored in the LIST entry. The Fileref attribute is blank each time the LISTATTR
- specifies which pad character to use for fields in the LISTVALUES
window. The default is the underscore (_) character.
- specifies which format to use for values in the LISTVALUES
window and when values from the list are displayed in selection lists.
- specifies how values are aligned in the fields in the LISTVALUES
window. The choices are LEFT (default), RIGHT, CENTER, and NONE.
- specifies the informat that must be used when values are
entered in the LISTVALUES window.
- specify one or more of the following characteristics of
- specifies that the values in the list are sorted in ascending
order when the entry is saved. This option is selected by default. Deselect
the SORT option if you want to store list values in the order in which they
- specifies that character values in the list are converted
to uppercase. This option is selected by default. Deselect the CAPS option
if you want to store mixed-case values in the list.
- specifies that the case of character values is ignored when
values from the list are used to validate field values. For example, if this
option is selected, then the value
RED in the
list matches the value
red in the PROGRAM entry
field that is being validated. If this option is not selected, the values
do not match.
- Error msg
- specifies the message that is displayed when no value in
the list matches the value in the PROGRAM entry field that is being validated.
You can use the special indicator
to include the field value in the message, as in the following example:
The value %s is not valid for this field.
You use the BUILD procedure's LISTVALUES window to enter or edit values
in the list. The LISTVALUES window opens automatically when you close the
Copyright 1999 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA. All rights reserved.